Minor in Economics

The beauty of the general Econ Minor program is in its flexibility!

If you would like to focus on a given discipline in economics, you can easily do that. The courses we offer can help you specialize in sub-disciplines like Development Economics, Environmental and Energy Economics, Capital Market and Financing, International/Trade, Health Economics, and the list goes on!

To explore the full range of courses offered, please visit Georgia Tech Econ Course Catalogue.


image of the Atlanta skyline


The minor requires a minimum of fifteen semester hours in Economics of which:

  • Nine semester hours must be advanced upper-level courses (numbered 3000 or above),
  • Nine semester hours must be taken at Georgia Tech,
  • All courses counting toward the minor must be taken on a letter-grade basis and must be completed with an overall grade point average of at least 2.0.
  • The course catalog provides full Economics minor degree requirements.

Please note that courses used in any minor at Georgia Tech may NOT be used to fulfill Areas A-E requirements and courses required by name and number in a student's major degree program may not be used toward the minor. A student may have no more than two minors.



Declaring our minor consists of four easy steps:

  1. Register for the ECON courses you want!​

  2. Fill out the DocuSign Add a Minor Form, it will be automatically sent to your major and minor advisors. Once both minor and major advisors sign the form, the DocuSign form will be automatically submitted to the Registrar's Office.​

    • In the form, make sure to check "Add Minor" and if it is your first minor, in "Primary Minor" include the name of the minor (ECON). For the "Catalog Year" include the current year. Make sure to include the emails for both Major and Minor advisors.

  3. Subscribe to Econ Minors email list to stay in touch with our awesome ECON Community.​

  4. At the start of your last semester, fill out the last form -- Approved Program of Study -- and submit it to Dr. Urmanbetova and your major advisor for signatures. The signed form must be submitted to the registrar along with your application to graduate.​

Have questions?

Contact Dr. Aselia Urmanbetova
Email: aselia@gatech.edu