News: Ivan Allen College Dean’s Offices Relocated to Savant Building
Posted June 20, 2018
The Office of the Dean of the Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts has relocated to the newly renovated first floor of the Savant Building at 631 Cherry Street, Atlanta, 30332. The dean’s office previously was located in the Habersham Building at 781 Marietta Street. The College will hold an open house introducing the new space on September 18, 2018.
The move to the heart of campus furthers the Georgia Institute of Technology’s plan to center the units of the Ivan Allen College in the historic buildings surrounding Tech Tower. It brings the offices of Dean Jacqueline J. Royster and her staff closer to those of Georgia Tech’s executive leadership and to the schools within the Ivan Allen College, a majority of which are located on Cherry Street and Bobby Dodd Way.
The renovation of Savant started in 2016 when windows throughout the building’s three floors were replaced with replicas of the original eight by five foot windows. The newly completed first-floor renovation created modern, light-filled workspaces defined by glass while restoring and featuring details such as interior brickwork, southern pine wood columns, and wooden plank ceilings.
The designer for the dean’s offices project was Barbara Kovacs Black Architect, LLC, a firm specializing in historic preservation and adaptive reuse. Christman Company was the general contractor. For Georgia Tech Facilities, Nicolas Palfrey was the project manager with Polly Patton overseeing interiors. Sam Aral, Ivan Allen College facilities manager, oversaw the project for the dean’s office and brought to bear his affinity for preserving the historic features.
Previous renovations to Savant accommodated offices for Georgia Tech Office of International Education which occupy the second floor and the Office of Graduate Studies which is on the third floor.
The space vacated in Habersham will be used to expand the offices of the Sam Nunn School of International Affairs, which continues to occupy the building. Some space also will be dedicated to new interdisciplinary centers within the College.
Units of the Ivan Allen College are located in eleven buildings on campus:
- Savant Building, Cherry Street (Dean’s Offices)
- Swann Building, Cherry Street (School of Modern Languages)
- Skiles Classroom Building, Cherry Street (School of Literature, Media, and Communication)
- D.M. Smith Building, Cherry Street (School of Public Policy)
- Old CE Building, Bobby Dodd Way (School of Economics, School of History and Sociology)
- Clough Undergraduate Learning Center, Bobby Dodd Way (Helen H. Naugle Communication Lab)
- Stephen C. Hall Building, Bobby Dodd Way (Writing and Communications Program)
- Technology Square Research Building, Tech Square (Graduate Program in Digital Media)
- O’Keefe Building, 6th Street (ROTC)
- Habersham Building, 781 Marietta St, NW (Sam Nunn School of International Affairs
- Renewable Bioproducts Institute, 10th Street, (Center for Advanced Communications Policy - CACP)
Contact For More Information